How the Hues You Choose Affect Customers
- November 22, 2019
- Posted by: Ryan Brady
- Category: Branding, Business Branding, Commercial Business Signage, Custom Signage, Design, Design-Build Signage, Digital Printing Services, Logo Design
The psychology of hues is one of the most intriguing aspects of marketing. In a sea of outdoor business signs, branding colors can make yours stand out. The hues you choose can affect the readability of your outdoor sign. Therefore, it’s imperative to understand how the hues you choose affect customers.
The Significance of Colors in Branding
According to a study titled “Impact of Color on Marketing,” up to 90% of instant judgments made about products and services are solely based on colors. Another study revealed that the relationship between branding and colors sits on the perceived appropriateness of the hues being used for a business.
Additional studies show that the human brain prefers instantly recognizable brands, which makes branding colors important elements when it comes to the identity of a business. Therefore, when picking the ‘right’ color for your business’ outdoor sign, predicting the reaction of customers to the appropriateness of the branding colors is more critical than the colors themselves.
5 Branding Colors That Can Help You Boost Sales
Red. Red is associated with danger, power, and urgency. However, when it comes to branding and sales, red triggers action. Most brick and mortar stores have red signs as the eye-catching color raises the energy levels of customers. Therefore, you can use red in your outdoor signs to draw more customers.
Green. Green is all about being natural, organic and environmental-friendly. So, if you are into eco-friendly/organic products or services, you can make the most of green to draw customers to your business.
Blue. Blue is associated with calmness, stability, and tranquility. It’s a popular color among financial institutions. It’s also used by businesses that want customers to think of security and peace. On one hand, businesses use red to instill a sense of urgency by triggering the nervous system. And, on the other hand, blue reduces anxiety among customers. Most financial institutions use blue in their outdoor signs as the color provides a sense of freedom and security.
Purple. Purple is associated with power, royalty and wealth. Even though it’s a mix of the urgency-creating red and the calmness-instilling blue, it has elements of boldness, creativity, and spirituality that make it a hit among customers, especially women. Since purple is a bright color, it works well with other vibrant hues such as pink and yellow. Many educational and financial institutions use purple. Nevertheless, if you are planning to use purple as your branding color and do not want it to come across as feminine, you can go for deeper shades of purple.
Black. Black is a powerful branding color. It is mostly used by high-end or luxury brands, retailing primarily to the male audience. While black isn’t a great pick from a conversion viewpoint, the black and white color combination makes a good contrast.
Other Useful Tips on Choosing Branding Colors for Business Signs
- Start with the selection of the background color as it has maximum visual impact.
- Ask yourself the following questions: Is my brand targeting females, males or both? Is my brand casual or serious? Is my brand affordable or luxurious? Is my brand classic or modern? Is my brand loud or sober?
- Once you have picked a background color, focus on contrast. While black words will easily show on a pink background, will they on a blue background? Well, not really. One of the most critical aspects of choosing branding colors for business signs is selecting the color combinations that contrast effectively.
- Make use of space that is not being used by letters or visual elements.
- Last and most important, if you are confused about choosing the right hues for your business signs, work with a professional to pick the best colors.
At Brady Signs, we’re a third-generation family business that’s served as a premier provider of business signage solutions throughout the North Central Ohio region and beyond for nearly 50 years.
Want to learn how we can convert your brand into a statement using our eye-catching signage for business? We’re here to talk.
Subscribe to Our Blog